Finding the right balance between social and selling.
Have you ever wondered how some companies’ social media profiles are able to be engaging and on-brand without seeming overtly “salesy?” Putting together an effective social media strategy takes time, research and planning; it doesn’t just happen by chance. Yet, striking this delicate balance while creating social content can be overwhelming.
Have no fear! Today, we’re going to let you in on a social media secret. Whether you’re in healthcare, retail, software, law, or education—regardless of industry—this method is bound to work for you. It’s called the 8:4:1 rule.
What is it?
For every 13 posts you create:
- 8 should be “shared” content, from relevant and trusted sources.
- 4 should feature original and helpful content created by your company.
- 1 call-to-action (CTA) post that links directly to a landing page on your website that features a valuable content offer or service that your business provides.
How does it work?
Let’s break this rule down a bit further and discuss exactly what each of these posts may include:
- Your 8 shared posts may include some of the following: interesting articles from industry sources, popular blog posts from local influencers in your community, entertaining videos featuring timely events in your field, or even funny memes that encourage your page followers to share the content with their friends and family.
- The 4 posts featuring your original content may consist of: the new blog post you recently published, an infographic of industry trends, your latest educational one-sheet, a Pinterest board depicting the inspiration behind your latest product, or slides and photos from your most recent company presentation.
- Your CTA post may be something like: a link to a landing page where people can sign up to receive something for free in exchange for their contact information. The free item should be relevant and valuable to your target audience: something that they would be otherwise willing to pay for. For example, a discovery call or consultation with one of your in-house experts or sales reps, a downloadable white paper about an important topic, a helpful podcast or video, a form where prospective customers can sign up to trial your software, or an email newsletter opt-in page.
I’m ready to implement the 8:4:1 rules but I don’t have time. What can I do?
If you’re convinced the 8:4:1 rule will work for your business but you simply don’t have the time to research and create engaging, educational, and timely content to execute an effective strategy—we’re here to help. Crafting comprehensive social media road maps for businesses is what we love to do here at MMM! Let’s chat about how we can come up with a winning road map for your company today.
Get started by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 622-0110.